In this guide, I will show you how to watch BBC iPlayer in the USA (and outside the UK). This post demonstrates how to watch this service on Amazon FireStick, Fire TV Cube, Kodi, and a computer/mobile browser.
BBC offers a range of popular and quality content including TV series, documentaries, docuseries, movies, and a lot more. A lot of their programs are available through various streaming services outside the UK. However, BBC iPlayer is one place from where you can access just about anything that’s BBC.
Sadly, BBC iPlayer is not available outside the UK.
Though, that doesn’t mean you cannot access it if you don’t live in the UK. This is precisely what I am going to show in this tutorial. As soon as you will finish the instructions exactly as they provided, you will have access to:
- BBC One
- BBC Two
- BBC Three
- BBC Four
- BBC News Channel
- BBC Parliament
- BBC ALBA
- 1 How to Watch BBC iPlayer in the USA or any other Country
- 2 STEP 1: Connect to the UK VPN Server
- 3 STEP 2: Sign up for BBC iPlayer Service
- 4 STEP 3: Start Watching BBC iPlayer in the USA or any country outside the UK
- 5 Wrapping Up
How to Watch BBC iPlayer in the USA or any other Country
BBC is a premium service and invests a lot of resources to restrict access outside the UK. However, there is still a way you could get access by using a VPN. But that is also not very easy. BBC blocks most of the VPN providers and only a handful are able to bypass its protection wall.
One VPN that I found working great with the BBC iPlayer without any hiccups is ExpressVPN. It is a premium VPN and works flawlessly with BBC iPlayer and even unblocks Netflix, Hulu, facilitates torrenting, and does a lot more.
ExpressVPN is available at a 49% discount over its regular price when you buy its annual plan. Also, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee (no questions asked). So you get sufficient time to try the service and decide whether you want to continue or want a refund.
Let me show you how to install and set ExpressVPN up on your streaming devices and then how to get the BBC iPlayer app.
STEP 1: Connect to the UK VPN Server
Let me take you through the steps to install ExpressVPN and connect to a UK server.
How to set up VPN on a FireStick
If you are using any other device, I have shown the set up in the next section. The following steps are for Amazon Fire TV users.
1. Click here to visit ExpressVPN.com and buy the subscription.
2. Search ExpressVPN on Firestick and install the app.
3. Open the app and enter login credentials
4. Connect to the UK server
If you need more help with the VPN set up, you can follow this guide to learn how to install and use ExpressVPN on Firestick.
How to set up VPN on any streaming device
If you have an Amazon FireStick and have already set up using the above method, you can skip this and go directly to the next section where I have shown the BBC iPlayer app set up.
- Visit ExpressVPN.com and subscribe to service
- Click here to download and install the VPN software on your device
- Open the app and enter the login details
- Choose and connect to a UK server
That’s all. You are now ready to start using the BBC iPlayer in your country. Keep reading!
STEP 2: Sign up for BBC iPlayer Service
To sign up for the BBC iPlayer service, you need to visit the official BBC iPlayer website and register for a free account.
The catch here is that the service will block any request coming from outside the UK. Therefore, make sure you are connected to a UK VPN server.
Now, follow these steps:
1. Open a web browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc.) Type in the following link to go to the BBC registration page: https://account.bbc.com/register?
2. Choose one of the options:
- Under 13
- 13 or over
I am choosing 13 or over
3. Enter your date of birth and click Continue
4. On the next page, enter the following details:
- Email address
5. Make sure you select the United Kingdom in the Country field
6. The moment you enter the email address and password and choose the country, the following fields will appear:
Make sure you enter a valid postcode from the UK. If you don’t know any, you could generate a random UK postcode from here.
7. Click Register to continue
8. You are now signed up
9. Go to your email inbox and open the verification email from BBC. Click the verification link in the email
10. On the next page, select one of the following depending upon whether you wish to receive news and updates in your email:
- Yes Please
- No Thanks
I have chosen No Thanks
11. Click Continue
This is how you sign up for a BBC iPlayer account outside the UK.
STEP 3: Start Watching BBC iPlayer in the USA or any country outside the UK
Here we will discuss how you can watch BBC iPlayer on a FireStick, browser, and Kodi. Let’s take a look at all of them one-by-one:
How to install BBC iPlayer APK on Firestick
The BBC iPlayer app is not available on the Amazon app store. Hence, we need to sideload the iPlayer APK that works outside the UK. Check out the step-by-step instructions below:
1. From the Amazon Fire TV Stick home screen, choose Settings on the top
2. Navigate to and open the option My Fire TV
3. Choose Developer Options
4. On the following screen, click Apps from Unknown Sources to turn it ON (leave it if it is already ON)
5. Click Turn On to continue
6. Go to the FireStick home screen again and choose the Search option in the top-left corner
7. Lookup for the Downloader app. Follow the on-screen instructions to install this app.
8. Open the Downloader app. Dismiss any prompts that appear and go to the main screen
9. Click where you see http://
10. Enter the following URL and click GO: http://bit.ly/bipl2
11. Wait for the download to finish, and then Click Install
12. Click Open to run the BBC iPlayer APK on FireStick
13. Access BBC iPlayer app from the section Your Apps & Channels
14. Click Sign in
15. You should now see this window on your FireStick with a code. Note down the code.
16. On a computer or mobile browser, go to https://bbc.com/account/tv
Sign in with your BBC iPlayer account username and password if required
Now, enter a Display name. You may choose any name you like.
17. Enter the code displayed on your FireStick screen
18. Click Sign in on your TV
19. Upon successful authorization, you should see the following message in your browser
20. BBC iPlayer app on FireStick will now display this screen. Click Continue
21. On this Privacy Notice screen, click OK, got it button
22. Here is your BBC iPlayer home screen. You may start streaming now.
You will find featured content on the home screen. You can browse more by choosing the options Channels and Categories on the top.
If you have something particular in mind, you may use the Search option on the top menu list
How to Watch BBC iPlayer outside the UK using a Browser
Follow the steps below:
1. Open the BBC iPlayer VPN on your computer/mobile and Connect to a UK server
2. Open a web browser and go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer
3. Click Sign in on the top
4. Sign in with your BBC iPlayer account credentials
5. The following is the homepage of the website. Choose the content you want to watch
6. BBC iPlayer will now ask you if you have a TV License. Go ahead and choose I have a TV License. Watch now.
7. Start streaming.
How to install and use BBC iPlayer Kodi addon
BBC iPlayer is available via the official Kodi repository called Kodi Add-on Repository. You will find it by the name iPlayer WWW.
Here are the steps to install and use BBC iPlayer on Kodi:
1. Open the Kodi application on your device
2. Navigate to the top section on the left and click the gear icon to open Kodi Settings
3. Next, choose the option Add-ons
4. When this window is displayed, click Install from repository
Note: The official repository comes preinstalled with Kodi. You don’t need to install it separately
5. If you have installed any additional, third-party repositories, you will see a window like this (image below). Click Kodi Add-on repository
If you don’t see this window, jump to the next steps
6. Scroll down and choose Video add-ons from this list
7. On the next screen, scroll down this list of addons and click iPlayer WWW
Note: There are a lot of addons in the official repository. To find the addon easily, you may use the search option. Click Options in the bottom-left corner of this window and on the slide-out menu click Filter. Now, lookup for iPlayer WWW
8. Click Install on this screen
9. Kodi will now display the list of all the additional add-ons that will be installed with iPlayer. Simply click OK
10. Wait for the addon to install. You should see the notification iPlayer WWW Add-on installed in a minute or two (upper-right corner)
You have successfully installed the addon. Let’s learn how to access and use the addon
11. Go to the Kodi home screen. You may press the back button repeatedly.
12. From the home screen, navigate to Add-ons > Video add-ons. Click the BBC iPlayer icon
13. Now, here is the list of the options for you to stream.
Make sure you connect to a UK server through a VPN before you start streaming.
This is how you install and use BBC iPlayer on Kodi!
Well, this is pretty much about using BBC iPlayer in the USA (or outside the UK). Even though this service is restricted to the United Kingdom, with the help of a good VPN you can always unblock it no matter where you live. By unblocking BBC iPlayer, you gain access to tons of high-quality content from BBC.
- Best VPN for BBC iPlayer
- How to Jailbreak a FireStick
- Free Movie Apps for Firestick
- Best Addons for Kodi